Monday, May 28, 2012

Clutter Control

Here lately, I've been looking around my house and feeling the need to purge things. A few weeks ago, I ran across an awesome blog, www.theminimalistmom.com, and it has completely changed the way I look at "stuff."  The creator of the blog, Karen, discusses how living with less can actually give you more time, money and space. It sounds simple, but it's a little more complex than that. Every time I read one of her posts, it gives me even more motivation to purge things that are just taking up space in our lives. You see, I've never had a problem letting go of things. I've never really felt an attachment to material possessions like books, or a doll from when I was little, etc. My husband on the other hand, is the exact opposite and it can get very frustrating for me at times to get my point across as to why we don't have to keep every little trinket from our past. After all, we are in the military and have to haul this stuff around every four years until Mat retires. At the end of the day, experiences are what we often remember, not material things.

After countless discussions, Mat and I have made excellent de-cluttering progress over the last week and here is my car, packed to the gills to prove it.



My old prom dress that I let go. Why on earth was I keeping this thing??? haha


This was just the start of our pile, believe it or not. It more than doubled at the end. Oh, and this didn't include the donation pile I had dropped off a week earlier...a whole car load as well. Yikes!

More on the tedious process of going digital with our filing cabinet soon...

2 comments:

  1. The reason you were keeping it was the bead work and how expensive it was. And is that the chalkboard I asked you to keep for me? Hmm? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want sis to beat me up so I donated the chalk board. :( Sorry mom. lol But, you are scoring some pretty snazzy items!

      Delete